Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wrenn on New Years Day 2012

What a gift today was.  I suppose that if it was the middle of May we would think nothing of it but,  it wasn't ...it was the first day of 2012.   I had a great aunt,  Ginny was her name,  and she passed away this past year.  Now Aunt Ginny lived back in the sticks (literally) and we would go to visit every now and again.  I know that sounds harsh not going to visit more often but,  you didn't have to go visit her because she would come and visit you.  She would stay for days sometimes weeks at a time with various family members,  very rarely staying at home.  Her husband worked driving a truck and since they never had children and he was not home often there really wasn't much to keep her at home,  so off she would go to "visit".  Now my mom was one of the family that she visited most often.  They would sit and drink coffee and chat at our kitchen table when I was a girl.  I loved it when she came because she made the best Maryland biscuits.   They were so yummy with tons of butter all melty on them.  I could eat my weight in them ( which as a girl wasn't much).  I asked her once when I was older to teach me how to make them.  That,  I would have to say,  is an art.  She did,  however,  give me the recipe that I still have.   Which includes the amount of shortening you will need measured off in the palm of her hand.  She would take one hand and place it on her other hand almost all the way to her thumb and say and then you add this much shortening.   We never could get her to measure it out in cups.   Enough about that....since I had never really been to Aunt Ginny's much as an adult and certainly wasn't allowed to run loose in her woods as a child,  today was the first time I had the opportunity to go down there and really look around.  It's amazing!!  The woods are so clean...I mean there are no briers growing anywhere.  You can walk right through the woods and it's so far off the road that you can't hear a thing except to the scream of a hawk that was flying over.  So very peaceful.  I can't imagine why she would ever want to leave it.  Wrenn had a blast climbing on fallen trees and tracking through the woods.  There are little cuts in the creek that run behind it on all sides.  Wrenn was tempted to try to cross the streams in some places but, her father warned her that she wouldn't be allowed in the truck with marsh mud all over her.  She wants to go back in the Spring and try that out.  So here's to you Aunt Ginny!  Gone but,  never forgotten.  We miss and love you very much! Here are a couple shots that I took of Wrenn today in Aunt Ginny's woods.  Enjoy!







Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Mama-Maryland Maternity Photography

New Dresses in the studio so this sweet mama came to model for me.  She's expecting baby girl #3 in March. Enjoy!!